1) Clothing: Plain colour, no busy patterns are better in photos. No clothes are good as well. You can also bring props and accessories for the baby. Little hat, socks, baby blanket or headband are all nice. 2) Keep the baby awake for 2 hours before the photo session, feed the baby when you arrive at the studio, so they will more likely to fall asleep during the shoot. (It’s for newborn under 2 weeks old) 3) Wrap the baby in a blanket with just the diaper on and feed the baby while I set up. This way we don’t have to undress the baby once they’ve fallen asleep. 4) The baby photo session is about 2 hours and up to 3 hours, it depends on the baby’s mood. Please be flexible with the feedings, we will be more likely to get good photos when the baby is fed and happy. 5) You will be feeding the baby and changing diapers during the photo session so bring anything you need for the baby.
6) Posing newborns takes a ton of time and patience, if the baby is not happy or crying, we will calm the baby down before we continue the shoot.
7) Please inform me when is baby’s nap time, I will schedule your session around that time. 8) Baby with family: please make sure you have read the note “How to prepare for a family photo shoot?” especially if you have other young children. 9) Stay calm and relaxed:Babies are very perceptive and can pick up on our energy. If you are nervous or anxious the baby will sense that and will not settle easily. If the baby’s Mom is anxious this can also affect how the baby does.
1) It doesn’t matter what you wear, either formal or informal, I always suggest the colour of the outfits must be colour coordinated so the image will look in harmony. Everyone likes the different style of clothing, we don’t need to be “matchy matchy”, instead, we want everyone to be themselves in the photos. You can choose to have cold tone set or warm tone set, but don’t mix. Stick with 2 or 3 colours.
A warm colour palette might be oranges, reds, browns, or purples. While a cool colour palate may be light blues, greens, whites, or pinks.
2) No busy patterns or cartoon characters in clothes, they will become the distraction in the images.
3) Bring accessories, bow, hair clips, ties.
4) Bring at least 3 different outfits so we have more choice.
5) It is also a good idea you go shopping for the shoot. Wearing a new outfit always makes everyone feel good. When you feel good, you will look good. New outfits haven’t been washed yet so they also look new can crisp in the photos. Layering clothing is also a good idea, it makes the photo visually interesting. Add a piece of jewellery with special meaning, a hat, a funky belt or a scarf, all good ideas.
6) Make sure children are comfortable with their clothes. They are only happy when they feel comfortable and we definitely want happy children in out shots.
—How to keep children happy throughout the shoot
Let’s face it, children dominate the show, you schedule activities around them, if they get cranky, you can’t take them to a fancy restaurant that night. It is the same when children are having a photo shoot. They don’t have to be perfect to get the perfect photos. I usually just let them be, let them do what they like. If they running around, I chase them, if they are trying to hide, I let them hide. They are children, just let them be, we can work around with it. Be ready to go with the flow. The photo session is supposed to be an enjoyable experience for all. I would like you and your family think you’re just coming out for a family outing, creating the happy atmosphere is very important for the shoot. If something happens children are not happy, we can always take a break and come back to the shoot.
–Is there anything else I should bring with me?
Yes, bring anything you want. Bring children’s favourite toys, bring books, anything to keep everyone happy. Tablets, laptop and smartphones are NOT recommended to use during the shoot. Be the toy and PLAY with your children, we will get the most natural and beautiful connection and expressions in the photos. I would also suggest bringing a blanket, it comes in handy when shooting outdoor, everyone can lie on it for taking some shots.
With children is always either hurry up or waiting. Patient is the key. If you seem stressed, the children will pick it up very quickly.
–Feeding, drinking and bribes.
Everyone gets cranky when they are hungry and tired. So make sure everyone gets fed and had enough rest before the shoot. If bribe your children work then bribe them. It will make the shoot much easier.
1) Clothes:Please take care of your clothes, put them on hangers to prevent the wrinkles. Do not wear the photo shoot clothing to the photo shoot, instead, you will get changed when you arrive.
2) Makeup for guys: It’s best come without makeup or any powder. All you have to do is moisturise your skin and lips.
3) Makeup for girls: Use neutral colours to flatter your features. Subtle smoky eyes will do very nicely. You can also go on Youtube to search relate makeup tutorial about smokey eyes, there are tons of them.
About foundation: It’s better only apply light liquid type of foundation. No powder is better. Some foundation cause too much difference on the skin tone between face and neck, it’s best to choose the foundation colour similar to the neck skin colour.
4) Pimples and blemishes: Do not worry any of that, they can be easily cleaned out during the digital editing post process.
5) Guys shaving tips: Please be shaved before the shoot and shave carefully. Unshaved beard will be easily seen in high resolution files.
6) Bring a tooth brush with you, we like to make sure your teeth are clean. Charming smiles only go with clean teeth.
There are things you can prepare for yourself before the photo shoot in order to get the best result.
There are don’ts:
1) Do not tan yourself 3 days before the shoot, your skin will be red. Any redness or even slightly sunburn will affect the photo quality. If you don’t have time to get sun tan, I can make you look tanned in the post editing easily.
2) Do not scrub your face the day before the shoot to avoid skin look red and irritating.
3) Do nothing about the pimples or blemish, they are easy to clean out in the digital editing post process.
4) Do not try a new hairstyle, you can never sure about the result, go safe is the best.
5) Do not stay up late the night before the shoot, come to the studio sober.
6) Do not drink alcohol the night before the shoot.
7) (Not for pregnancy photo session) Avoid drinking too much water the night before the photo shoot. Retaining too much water in the body can cause puffiness. So drink plenty of water during the day. If you get really thirsty during the evening, drink a small amount of water.
There are Do’s:
1) Two or three days before the shoot, apply facial scrub to massage and wash your face to exfoliate your skin. (Guys: Please do the same)
2) Remember to shave where is appropriate. Girls: Legs, under arms, forearms and bikini lines for bikini or boudoir shoots. Guys: Be shaved nicely if you are not growing a particular beard style..
3) Clean your nails and toe nails.
4) Go to bed early the night before the shoot, at least get 3 hours more sleep than usual.
5) Remove unwanted hair on your eyebrows, guys please do the same. If you are not sure what to do, please go to a specialist or “Google” more information.
6) Packing your clothing and accessories the night before, so you will be more relaxed for next day’s shoot.